Assistant Financial Controller
Location: White City, London
At Quell we seek to deliver truly innovative, life-changing therapies for our patients. Our vision as a company is to build a major global biopharmaceutical company bringing transformational and valued therapies for a range of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, as well as preventing rejection in organ transplantation, based on modular engineered Tregs.
Quell was founded in March 2019 in partnership with six prominent immunological experts from King’s College London, University College London, and Hannover Medical School, and is led by Iain McGill, a leading pharmaceutical executive with extensive relevant experience, having spent most of his 25 years in the industry in immunology, including the areas of solid organ and cell transplantation. The Company was founded with initial series A financing, led by Syncona Ltd who committed £59M with a further £2M contributed by UCL Technology Fund.
Assistant Financial Controller
We are currently looking to recruit a qualified Assistant Group Financial Controller (Group Finance Manager) to join the Finance team at Quell Therapeutics. The successful candidate will be responsible for the maintenance of accurate accounting records for the company and its subsidiaries in the company finance systems. They will support the development and maintenance of the company financial accounting and reporting policies, systems and associated internal control and governance processes to the standard required by a public company.
- Support the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports on a timely basis for the management team, Board of Directors and Investors according to relevant GAAP.
- Prepare reconciliations for all key balance sheet accounts and resolve any imbalances or inaccuracies.
- Maintain all appropriate sub-ledger accounts to support the General Ledger, including Fixed Assets, Accounts Payable, payroll control accounts, company credit card accounts etc.
- Lead the financial accounting team, with a strong focus on personal development and Quell’s core values.
- Assist in the preparation of a 24 month rolling forecast cash utilisation and balances and currency planning model and support the company investment policy to generate investment returns consistent with an acceptable investment risk profile.
- Manage the preparation and timely processing of payments to vendors, staff, consultants and other service providers.
- Support the preparation of quarterly and annual statutory company financial statements and the preparation for and management of internal and external audit processes.
- Support the preparation of company budgets and provide analysis to support the financial planning and analysis function.
- Support the completion and submission of Group indirect and direct tax returns, including VAT, Corporation Tax and R&D Tax Credit.
EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Minimum 2 years’ post-qualification experience in commercial accounting roles, ideally in a small UK plc.
- Strong audit, accounting and financial and control processes knowledge
- Solid understanding of UK GAAP and applicable regulations, US GAAP knowledge an advantage
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
- Skilled in time management and the ability to prioritize tasks
- Accounting qualification – ideally audit based CA/ACA or equivalent
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- Excellent team working and networking skills with experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise
- Desire to work with integrity and act as an ambassador for Quell and the wider business.
- Holidays: 25 days per year
- Life Assurance: 4 x base salary
- Group Personal Pension: Auto enrolled at 4% employer contribution, 4% employee contribution
- Private Medical Insurance for your whole family
- Annual Bonus
- Fantastic collaborative environment at Translation & Innovation Hub
- £61 Million Investment including brand new lab equipment, innovative methods, and exposure to cutting edge technology
- Flexible working
- Fast paced and progressive company looking for future leaders and innovators