Research Associate - Treg Production
Location: White City, London
At Quell we seek to deliver truly innovative, life-changing therapies for our patients. Our vision as a company is to build a major global biopharmaceutical company bringing transformational and valued therapies for a range of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, as well as preventing rejection in organ transplantation, based on modular engineered Tregs.
Quell was founded in March 2019 in partnership with six prominent immunological experts from King’s College London, University College London, and Hannover Medical School, and is led by Iain McGill, a leading pharmaceutical executive with extensive relevant experience, having spent most of his 25 years in the industry in immunology, including the areas of solid organ and cell transplantation. The Company was founded with initial series A financing, led by Syncona Ltd who committed £34M with a further £1M contributed by UCL Technology Fund.
Research Associate – T Reg Production Team
Quell is looking for a Research Associate who will work within the T Reg Production Team. The Team supports the activities of both the R&D and CMC teams across Quell and is a core part of our laboratories. You will be part of a team generating cells for research activities at Quell under the supervision of the Associate Director, Product Development. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented and motivated technician to contribute to a critical and key part of our R&D work in an exciting and highly dynamic environment focused on developing cutting-edge cellular therapies.
- Processing of human blood and/or tissue products.
- Cryopreservation, thawing, feeding, and harvesting of primary T cell cultures.
- Isolation of primary cells using e.g. density gradient centrifugation, MACS and FACS.
- Activation and transduction of primary T cell cultures.
- Support process optimisation and development of new assays.
- Manage databases and assist in establishing relevant SOPs.
- Collaborate and coordinate work with other team members to meet deadlines and goals.
- Provide guidance and training to new or junior staff.
- Work closely with the Product Development team.
- Help to maintain the laboratories to a high standard.
- Maintain compliant process documentation.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Solid understanding of cell biology.
- Handling of mammalian and primary human immune cell cultures.
- Experience with basic Flow Cytometry.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to present results clearly and logically, working co-operatively as part of a team as well as independently.
- Good attention to detail and record keeping.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Cell Biology or related subject and 2 years of relevant industry experience.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience with the use of cell sorters; ideally BD FACSMelody and/or Sony SH800.
- Experience with the use of the Cytek Aurora and NxT Attune flow cytometers.
- Excellent time and project management skills aligned with an ability to prioritise activities.
- Understanding of process optimisation and assay development.
- Ability to efficiently identify and implement solutions.
- Familiarity with a range of immunological cell-based techniques
- Proven commitment to high quality work and maintenance of high standards.
- Contribute to a culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, patient centricity and continuous improvement
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team, supporting one another and held accountable for project deliverables.
- Professional and personable communication skills.
- Driven to solve problems pragmatically.
- Passionate about science.
- Good working attitude, reliability, and flexibility.
- Desire to work with integrity and act as an ambassador for Quell and the wider business.
- Holidays: 25 days per year.
- Life Assurance: 4 x base salary.
- Group Personal Pension: Auto enrolled at 4% employer contribution, 4% employee contribution.
- Private Medical Insurance for your whole family.
- Annual Bonus.
- Fantastic collaborative environment at Translation & Innovation Hub
- £36 Million Investment including brand new lab equipment, innovative methods, and exposure to cutting edge technology.
- Flexible working.
- Fast paced and progressive company looking for future leaders and innovators.