Senior Scientist - Non-Clinical Assay Development
Location: White City, London, UK
At Quell we seek to deliver truly innovative, life-changing therapies for our patients. Our vision as a company is to build a major global biopharmaceutical company bringing transformational and valued therapies for a range of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, as well as preventing rejection in organ transplantation, based on modular engineered Tregs.
Quell was founded in March 2019 in partnership with six prominent immunological experts from King’s College London, University College London, and Hannover Medical School, and is led by Iain McGill, a leading pharmaceutical executive with extensive relevant experience, having spent most of his 25 years in the industry in immunology, including the areas of solid organ and cell transplantation. The Company was founded with initial series A financing, led by Syncona Ltd who committed £34M with a further £1M contributed by UCL Technology Fund.
Senior Scientist – Non-Clinical Assay Development
Quell therapeutics is looking to expand our Non-Clinical team by recruiting a Senior Scientist with a background in human and murine immunology. A Senior Scientist in the non-clinical team will be responsible for delivering results through scientific expertise and good leadership. They will be responsible for designing, developing, and leading complex research assignments based on corporate priorities and goals as well as managing scientific activities across multiple projects. The successful candidate will effectively and routinely collaborate with colleagues on different projects and regularly present scientific results to multidisciplinary teams and leadership at Quell therapeutics.
- Responsible for the implementation of a broad range of novel assay development (in vitro human and ex vivo murine).
- Support in vivo assay development workstream by working closely with peers to deliver results as a team
- Excels in independent judgement and informed decision-making.
- Initiates new scientific projects or methodologies. Is responsible for the delivery of projects and studies as designated
- Interprets results, evaluates data, and draws relevant conclusions. Designs and implements subsequent experiments within the framework of corporate priorities.
- Develops and oversees objectives for lab unit
- Contributes to the work plan and timelines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and cross-functionally
- Plans and coordinates activities of reports to meet departmental requirements
- Responsible for documentation for scientific methods and products (e.g., SOP’s) within team.
- Acts as an expert consultant and scientific resource for others in the department
- Present and defend scientific data rationale. Make proposals for future experiments and project direction.
- Maintains a high-level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature and best industry practices
- Manages activities of technicians, research associates, scientist Level I and Scientist Level II
- Complies with standard lab practices and company policies
EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- An expert in immunology and one of gene engineering/CAR-T/regulatory T cells/inflammation.
- Previous leadership and managing experience
- Experience in human in vitro assay development and ex vivo assay development.
- Ability to interpret complex data, implement new work methods
- Proven record of completing complex projects
- Previous In vivo assay design would be desirable
- Molecular biology – T cell gene engineering, cloning strategies, primer design and pre-clinical workstreams in biotech experience would be beneficial
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED
- MD/ PhD in relevant scientific discipline with +5 years academic or industry related experience
- T-cell receptor signalling experience would be advantageous
- Well-versed in a wide array of relevant laboratory techniques and experience in their use
- Development and/or use of cutting-edge technologies (e.g., organoids)
- Ability to work independently and complete high quality research projects
- Flexibility and ability to provide help and support to colleagues as and when required
- Professional and personable communication skills within a close-knit team and senior stakeholders of the business
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- A desire to deliver high quality science through good leadership
- Ability to influence, motivate and inspire colleagues to deliver results.
- Desire to work with integrity and act as an ambassador for Quell and the wider business
BENEFITS WE OFFER
- Holidays: 25 days per year
- Life Assurance: 4 x base salary
- Group Personal Pension: Auto enrolled at 4% employer contribution, 4% employee contribution
- Private Medical Insurance for your whole family
- Annual Bonus
- Fantastic collaborative environment at Translation & Innovation Hub
- £36 Million Investment including brand new lab equipment, innovative methods, and exposure to cutting edge technology
- Flexible working
- Fast paced and progressive company looking for future leaders and innovators