Senior Scientist – Process Development
Location: White City, London
At Quell we seek to deliver truly innovative, life-changing therapies for our patients. Our vision as a company is to build a major global biopharmaceutical company bringing transformational and valued therapies for a range of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, as well as preventing rejection in organ transplantation, based on modular engineered Tregs.
Quell was founded in March 2019 in partnership with six prominent immunological experts from King’s College London, University College London, and Hannover Medical School, and is led by Iain McGill, a leading pharmaceutical executive with extensive relevant experience, having spent most of his 25 years in the industry in immunology, including the areas of solid organ and cell transplantation. The Company was founded with initial series A financing, led by Syncona Ltd who committed £59M with a further £2M contributed by UCL Technology Fund.
Senior Scientist – Process Development
We are looking to recruit a Senior Scientist to expand our Process Development team. The successful candidate will be involved in the development of manufacturing processes for our next-generation cell therapies. This individual will lead a team of Scientists and Research Associates to design and conduct experiments, presenting findings at meetings. They will also collaborate with other teams in R&D and CMC to progress the development of the Company’s portfolio.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented and motivated Senior Scientist to contribute to a key part of our work. Quell offers an exciting and highly dynamic environment focused on developing cutting-edge Treg therapies.
- Provide team leadership, technical expertise, and practical capacity to the Process Development team
- Improve existing process design, regarding quality and efficiency
- Design, conduct, optimize and evaluate new processes for translation into a GMP environment
- Line-manage and mentor research associates and scientists within the team
- Manage multiple projects, providing clear timescales as required, to ensure studies are conducted effectively and completed in a timely manner
- Provide guidance and training to new or junior staff
- Maintain highly organised and detailed documentation of experimental procedures and establish relevant SOPs.
- Collaborate and coordinate work with other teams to meet deadlines and goals.
- Assist in technology transfer to the GMP manufacturing team
- Critically analyse data in a timely manner and present findings at team/departmental meetings to peers, senior management and other key stakeholders.
- Stay up-to-date with literature and new technologies within the cell therapy field.
- Collaborate with R&D colleagues to further progress our understanding of cellular therapies and development of next generation products
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc degree or MSc in relevant study field and relevant industry and/or academic experience
- Demonstratable experience in the development, scale-up and tech transfer of cell therapy processes destined for GMP manufacture
- Demonstrable expertise in cell-based techniques including flow cytometry, ELISA, qPCR
- Experience with closed-system cell processing systems and bioreactors
- Previous experience managing, supervising or mentoring junior staff.
- Solid understanding of T-cell immunology and CAR T-cell therapy
- Experience with creation and review of project reports, tech transfer documents and batch records.
- Resourcefulness in overcoming challenges and possess the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to think critically and demonstrate troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Proven commitment to high quality work and maintenance of high standards
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD in Biology, Immunology, Biochemistry Biotechnology or other related discipline
- Understanding of risk-based approaches to process development including Quality-by-design (QbD) principles
- Practical experience implementing design of experiments (DoE) to develop processes.
- Experience in process development of cell therapy leading towards phase III/pivotal clinical trials
- Understanding of the regulatory guidance governing cell and gene therapies.
- Previous experience of using electronic lab notebooks
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team, supporting one another and held accountable for project deliverables.
- Personal drive and goal orientation.
- Detail-orientated and accurate.
- Professional and personable communication skills.
- Driven to solve problems pragmatically.
- Demonstrates strong organisational and prioritisation skills to manage a diverse workload.
- Good working attitude, reliability, and flexibility.
- Desire to work with integrity and act as an ambassador for Quell and the wider business
- Flexible working
- Holidays: 25 days per year.
- Life Assurance: 4 x base salary.
- Group Personal Pension: Auto enrolled at 4% employer contribution, 4% employee contribution.
- Private Medical Insurance for your whole family.
- Annual Bonus.
- Fantastic collaborative environment at Translation & Innovation Hub
- £61 Million Investment including brand new lab equipment, innovative methods, and exposure to cutting edge technology.
- Flexible working.
- Fast paced and progressive company looking for future leaders and innovators.