Senior Scientist - Treg Biology
Location: White City, London
At Quell we seek to deliver truly innovative, life-changing therapies for our patients. Our vision as a company is to build a major global biopharmaceutical company bringing transformational and valued therapies for a range of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, as well as preventing rejection in organ transplantation, based on modular engineered Tregs.
Quell was founded in March 2019 in partnership with six prominent immunological experts from King’s College London, University College London, and Hannover Medical School, and is led by Iain McGill, a leading pharmaceutical executive with extensive relevant experience, having spent most of his 25 years in the industry in immunology, including the areas of solid organ and cell transplantation. The Company was founded with initial series A financing, led by Syncona Ltd who committed £59M with a further £2M contributed by UCL Technology Fund.
Senior Scientist – Treg Biology
Quell is looking for a Senior Scientist to join the Treg Biology team. This individual will report to the Associate Director of Product Research and will be involved in exploring the biology of Tregs to produce next generation Treg therapies. The successful candidate will work closely with the Scientists and Research Associates within the sub-team to conduct experiments, analyse data, and present findings. The Senior Scientist will also collaborate with other teams in R&D and CMC to progress our understanding of our cellular products.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented and motivated Senior Scientist to contribute to a key part of our work. Quell offers an exciting and highly dynamic environment focused on developing cutting-edge Treg therapies.
- Design, develop and lead complex research assignments.
- Supervise and train a scientific team.
- Manage multiple projects and work cross-functionally.
- Provide technical expertise for assay setup, protocol optimisation and troubleshooting.
- Critically analyse data in a timely manner and present findings at team/departmental meetings.
- Maintain highly organised and detailed documentation of experimental procedures and assist in establishing relevant SOPs.
- Collaborate and coordinate work with other teams to meet deadlines and goals.
- Stay up-to-date with literature and new technologies within the cell therapy field.
- Manage and support external collaborations as a subject matter expert in immunology.
- Provide guidance and training to new or junior staff.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Expertise in Treg biology.
- Solid understanding of immunology and immunotherapy.
- Extensive experience in immunological assays.
- Demonstrable expertise in Flow Cytometry.
- Resourcefulness in overcoming challenges and possess the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Work co-operatively as part of a team and manage multiple priorities.
- Detail-orientated and a meticulous record-keeper.
- Experience in training and managing Scientists and Research Associates.
- PhD in Immunology or related subject and a minimum of 5 years of relevant industry and/or academic experience.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Solid understanding of cell therapy.
- Experience with the use of the Cytek Aurora and NxT Attune flow cytometers.
- Experience with mouse models of transplantation, autoimmunity, and inflammation.
- Proven commitment to high quality work and maintenance of high standards.
- Contribute to a culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, patient centricity and continuous improvement
- Previous experience using electronic lab notebooks.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team, supporting one another and held accountable for project deliverables.
- Professional and personable communication skills.
- Driven to solve problems pragmatically.
- Passionate about science.
- Good working attitude, reliability, and flexibility.
- Desire to work with integrity and act as an ambassador for Quell and the wider business.
- Holidays: 25 days per year.
- Life Assurance: 4 x base salary.
- Group Personal Pension: Auto enrolled at 4% employer contribution, 4% employee contribution.
- Private Medical Insurance for your whole family.
- Annual Bonus.
- Fantastic collaborative environment at Translation & Innovation Hub
- £61 Million Investment including brand new lab equipment, innovative methods, and exposure to cutting edge technology.
- Flexible working.
- Fast paced and progressive company looking for future leaders and innovators.